Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Christmas Pudding

I've been negligent: three weeks since my last post. Terribly sorry. In that time, I've received the manuscript back from the publisher. The editor pointed out one particular criticism in my theoretical framework. I feel that folklore and oral tradition emphasizes starvation and weed-eating too heavily. My rebuttal was to write about all the times people didn't starve and had plenty to eat of diverse dishes. Apparently I did this too well, and made it sound like things were pleasant most of the time. I swayed too far in the opulent direction, so I'll have to modify some of my modifiers.

In the mean time, I also read Dickens' A Christmas Carol (in prep for the fantastic new animated movie). Here's one of Dickens' many passages describing Christmastime food (in this case a pudding):

"Hallo! A great deal of steam! The pudding was out of the copper. A smell like a washing day! That was the cloth. A smell like an eating house and a pastry cook's next door to each other, with a laundress' next door to that! That was the pudding! In half a minute Mrs. Cratchit entered--flushed, but smiling proudly--with the pudding, like a speckled cannon ball, so hard and firm, blazing in half of half a quartern of ignited brandy, and bedight with Christmas holly stuck to the top."

I wish you all such a Christmas pudding, and fine friends and family who might share it with you.

5 comments:

Tawna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tawna said...

"We WON'T go until we get some, we WON'T go until we get some!"

lara said...

I vow to learn to make my grandmother's plum pudding in the next three days. Where can you get suet these days?

Mumsy said...

Aw, I wish we were having a Christmas pudding. We are doing a goose again this year. There will be mince pie and sticky toffee puddings instead.

Merry Christmas!

Brock said...

Suet... you can buy at your Smith's grocery. Just ask the butcher to help you out. Its just beef fat trimmings.

Mince pie... with brandy? When I was looking at mince pie last year I discovered that you're supposed to make it far in advance and let it age for a month soaked in the brandy. Share your recipe?