Thursday, March 10, 2011

Nothing to see here...

No new research to report. I've been working on the oven. Today I finished the main baking chamber. The firebrick was extremely dense and hard, and wouldn't cut even with a diamond masonry blade. Mostly I used the bricks in the shapes they came in. However, as you see the entry is turned on 45 degrees (due to space limitations and the pre-established location of the flue) I did have to make some cuts on the last course of the roof to accommodate. At any rate, here are some poor quality pictures.

Here is the interior. You might have to click to open the picture to see it. I had a shop light shining into the oven, but it turned out dark.


Here is the oven door. You may notice I used a steel lintel instead of an arch. Don't worry, there will be functional arches aplenty. Again, the 45 angle on the entry complicated the merger of roof to wall so that an arch was impractical, given my bricks that would not cut. The entry is 9x18, and too small for me to fit into. Fortunately my children are still small.


Here is the front elevation, such as it is. I think there's about 7,000 pounds of bricks and mortar sitting there. So far the floor hasn't cracked.


Next chore is to put some sort of sealing stucco over the whole thing, and then figure out how the chimney will work. Gosh this is taking forever.

4 comments:

Melissa Cunningham said...

It looks wonderful and I can't wait to come over for pizza! You do beautiful work. Missed seeing you all tonight. Sorry. Feel like crap.

Kenzie said...

That is awesome Brock. I am proud of your feat, it doesn't look easy at all. Gotta love masonry. I think it looks great as brick-do you have to cover it up with stucco? Well done!

MissC said...

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you make your door where the wood is, if that is the location of the flue?

Brock said...

The flue is located in a concrete wall, in the corner. If I put the door close to the flue in the corner, it would make it not practical to have a very big oven, since the length of the peel would prohibit manuvering in the tight corner. By doing it the other way around, it allows me to have a 7 foot peel that I can easily manuver in the open kitchen rather than in a cramped corner.